2015 has been an exciting year of progress for Bendigo Kangan Institute. The following is a short selection of highlights:
Significant integration progress
Following the 2014 merger, we have made significant progress towards integrating Bendigo TAFE and Kangan Institute into one institute with one vision. As part of this major program, we have recently rolled out our new Student Management System, Student Services HUB, MyLearning training library and our new financial management system.
We are proud to say that Bendigo Kangan Institute has successfully undertaken the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) compliance audit and has been re-registered by ASQA for the next seven years.
A clear pathway to the future
In the second half of 2015, we began the process of developing BKI2020: our 2016 to 2020 strategic intent and plan. Our new purpose, vision and strategy paint an inspiring picture of who we are, where we’re going and how we’ll get there. You can read more about BKI2020 here.
A watershed year for industry partnerships
One of our highest priorities involves building stronger links with industry. By doing this we are able to provide training services that contribute to the productivity of our industry partners. At the same time, these partnerships allow us to provide improved outcomes for our students in the form of a more relevant education with genuine employment outcomes at the end.
2015 was a genuine watershed year for industry partnerships. Our successes include:
- Back to work programs with Toyota Australia and Spotless
- A new national training partnership with Renault Australia. This is the first new national training program we have delivered in several years.
- A Workers in transition training program with Ford Australia
- The establishment of a Health and Community COE industry advisory board to provide industry input into the evolution of our Health curriculum.
Exciting new courses and services
Bendigo Kangan Institute continues to innovate in the courses and services we provide. Highlights in 2015 include:
- A unique nursing pathways agreement with La Trobe University. This agreement provides for a confirmed pathway through to degree study for Bendigo Kangan students.
- The relocation of the
workforce development centre to our Broadmeadows campus under the management of Bendigo Kangan Institute.
- The announcement of a Government-supported Skills and Jobs Centres program which will come into being next year.
- Highly popular new courses in animal husbandry and veterinary nursing.
Of course, there is no greater measure of our success than the achievements of our students. After all, they’re why we’re here. As such, it’s exciting to see so many of our students recognised this year. These recognitions include:
- A number of students shortlisted as finalists for the Victorian Training Awards.
- A gold medal at the AusTAFE culinary challenge final in Perth in October.
- A TAFE Designer of the Year winner at Fashion Australia Awards.
- Our VETiS media students were finalists in the Victorian Short Film Festival
- A team of VCAL media students were finalists in the international youth silent film festival held in June in Portland, USA